Pages

Thursday, December 4, 2014

Author Spotlight & Interview: Nicholas Tanek


The Author Spotlight is shinning on Nicholas Tanek today. Tanek is the author behind the The Coolest Way to Kill Yourself, a unique love story that has received rave reviews from readers.  The Coolest Way to Kill Yourself tells the Nicholas and Lynn and their journey in love. Tanek wrote the story as a tribute to the love of his life and has captivated readers since it was released last year. It's my pleasure to present ot you, The Jazzy World of E's Bookshelf Author Spotlight on Nicholas Tanek.

Nicholas Tanek Biography
 Nicholas Tanek is an American ghostwriter from New Brunswick, New Jersey. He graduated from Rutgers University with a Bachelors in English. He has been a ghostwriter for over 15 years.


An Interview with Nicholas Tanek

Thank you for taking the time to interview.  You wrote The Coolest Way to Kill Yourself as a tribute to the love of your life.  Was it an idea you had for awhile? How was the writing process for this book?

Nicholas Tanek: I had to write this book… even if it killed me. My book is titled THE COOLEST WAY TO KILL YOURSELF. It is filled with kinky sex, hard drugs, and an endless amount of music references. No one commits suicide in the book. The book does not promote or make fun of suicide either. It’s about changing the person you were to become a new person through love, true honest love. The love of my life died at the age of 37, the summer before Hurricane Sandy. We had a teenage summer romance that lasted a little longer than the summer. We were deep in the NYC rave scene and did an insane amount of drugs. I’m talking ecstasy, angel dust, LSD and yes, even pot. I broke her heart and throughout almost a decade and a half, we lived separate lives. After failed marriages, abusive spouses, serious hardcore drug addiction and crime, we finally found each other again. This book is about second chances. We ended up having the most honest and beautiful relationship. Even though we were severely broken people, we saved each other. Kink and fetishes played an important role. Our honesty and sexuality brought us closer. Now, we both loved to write, but when we were teenagers, only I would get published. All my poems and stories were dedicated to other women I liked. Lynn would get sad and ask, “Why doesn’t anyone write anything for me?” Well, during Hurricane Sandy, with a generator to power my computer, I wrote a book for the girl who thought no one would ever write anything for her. It was all I could think about. It was all I could talk about. I actually write about writing the book in the book. It’s very meta. I just wrote and wrote. Then, I edited and edited. It’s rough around the edges, but I am very proud of it.

Music plays a big part in the story, did you know what songs you wanted incorporated from the beginning?
                                                       
Nicholas Tanek: That all goes from straight feeling… what I am feeling at the moment. I am so glad that I have a very extensive and diverse music collection.  I’m really OCD like that. I go from record to record, CD to CD. I like to get the vibe. While writing The Coolest Way to Kill Yourself, I listened to quite a bit of My Bloody Valentine, Withered Hand, Pulp, PAS/CAL, ex wife, Momus, El-P, A Tribe Called Quest, Sebastian Schuller,  The Stone Roses, Happy Mondays, The House of Love, Sonic Youth, The Velvet Underground, Joy Division, and so many more.
  
Since it’s release last year, The Coolest Way to Kill Yourself has received rave reviews, how has the experience been having so many people connect with your story?

Nicholas Tanek: Thank you! One thing that I am very proud of is that all the reviews are genuine. Sure, I do not have hundreds of them… but all of them are from real cool people with heart! I have made so made so many friends because of this book.  I think it is a beautiful experience.  I put myself out there. I went “full honest”… if that makes sense. I like to think that struck a chord with people.  My street team are the coolest women! Seriously, they do not promote books for a living, but they all came together and helped me promote a crazy book with a very hard-to-market title and a cover that does not have abs, tattoos, or some millionaire in a gray suit. They looked deeper and found something. I love that! Seriously, my street team is the coolest.

What would you has been your favorite part of writing the story and getting it out there for people to read?

Nicholas Tanek: Two things. First, I have connected with so many people… just because I wrote a book. They connected to an honest love story. The fact that I wrote an honest love story, holding nothing back, spoke to some people. I love that. It makes me feel hope. Seriously, I don’t mean to be corny, but it does. It means that there are still real people out there. We are the new romantics. We want something different. We want something cool. Second… writing this book saved my life and changed me forever.  I could have fell into drug addiction, depression, crime, or negative behavior. I chose creativity over negativity.  For people who deal with issues of addiction and depression, that’s not always easy.  This is going to sound messed up, but I am actually proud of myself for the first time in my life.

What do you hope people take away from reading The Coolest Way to Kill Yourself?

Nicholas Tanek: I hope people will embrace love and the people will love them. That is the main message behind The Coolest Way. I also hope they embrace their individuality and their sexuality. Kink and sex plays a major role in the book. There are so many husbands, wives, boyfriends, and girlfriends who do not, cannot, are feel afraid to embrace their sexuality. It’s very sad.  I personally know people who read this book and decided to do things like join Fetlife.com and actually live out fantasies. I think that is very cool.

How was it transitioning from ghostwriter to the author of your own book?

Nicholas Tanek: Oh, it was easy.  It sucks writing stuff you do not want to write about. See? See what I did? That sentence was horrible. I would rather be creative and do my own thing.

Do you have any new works in progress that you can tell us about?

Nicholas Tanek: My next book is titled Chipped Black Nail Polish and it is a tribute to the very first love in my life. She was a very troubled, crazy, sexy post-punk rock girl. It’s a true story that is more of a prequel to The Coolest Way to Kill Yourself. It is about 1/3 as long and is nowhere near as graphic or epic. It takes place during the summer of 1989 in the New Jersey / New York indie rock / punk rock / hardcore scene. I like to think of it as a twisted John Hughes film (“Pretty In Pink,” “Some Kind of Wonderful,” and “Sixteen Candles”) meets “SLC Punk.” It is shorter, quick, and much funnier too. Still. It will get loud. It will get noisy. It will get emotional. #CBNP

In 10 words or less can tell readers who haven’t read the Coolest Way To Kill Yourself, why they should read it.

Nicholas Tanek: Kinky sex. Hard drugs. Cool music. Brutal honesty. All true.

Is there anything you would like to say to fans of the book and/or readers new to you?

Nicholas Tanek: Thank you.  Thank you for reading. Thank you for your interest. Thank you to The Coolest Street Team. …. (evil laugh)…. Oh, We are the new romantics. We’re coming. There are many readers out there who want something real. Fantasy is cool. I’m not putting anyone down. Still, there are readers out there who want something different, something cool, and something real.  We are The New Romantics. Join us.

AMAZON: The Coolest Way to Kill Yourself:http://amzn.com/B00GUSAX7G
http://thecoolestway.com
Facebook: www.facebook.com/thecoolestway
Twitter: @NicholasTanek
Nicholas Tanek – The Coolest Way Fan Club:https://www.facebook.com/groups/707664132651411/


The Coolest Way to Kill Yourself



Synopsis

Okay. So no one actually kills themselves in this book.

The Coolest Way to Kill Yourself pulls you into the early 90's New York City rave scene, in all its chaotic, psychedelic glory. The narrator grabs you by your wrist and drags you behind two teenage lovers from New Jersey as they tumble through a whirlwind of reckless hedonism that eventually spirals into a dark, devastating world of drug addiction and heartbreak.

As a teenager, Lynn cried, "No one is ever going to write something for me." Nearly two decades later, in the aftermath of Hurricane Sandy, Nicholas did just that. The gesture came too late for our unlikely heroine, but his heart was in the right place. A broken heart... but a true love. Reunited after years apart, Lynn and Nicholas embraced their love and sexuality, and embraced each other, despite troubled pasts, despite illness, despite all of their imperfections and mistakes. They shared the kind of honest and shameless connection that few have had the honor of knowing, and most would never understand.

"We're not hurting anyone. We're just living life without caring what anyone thinks about us."

"It's the coolest way to kill ourselves," Lynn said.

So turn the page, and pull the trigger.

Teasers




Click Here to Buy The Coolest Way to Kill Yourself



Stay Up-to-Date with Nicholas Tanek
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment